And so another year draws to a close. We have traveled through time to the Maya, Aztec and Incan cultures, discovered how life has changed for Native Americans, and explored the continent of Africa and the vastness of Space. We have researched dinosaurs and uncovered the mystery of Dinosaur Island, and experimented with acids and bases and the states of matter. Over the course of this year we have grown and flourished, overcome obstacles, faced conflicts and speed bumps, and victoriously made it to the end! This has been another great year in Older Kids. We have enjoyed getting to know your children and watching their successes.
Our latest adventure, of course, was our week at Sky Ranch. We had an amazing time up in the mountains. The weather was beautiful, we saw deer and moose, took short and long hikes, and ate so well. We hope your children shared stories of their experience with you.
Our last week of school is a busy one. Today and tomorrow we are sharing our personal projects with our classmates. Our students had a lot of fun being able to choose their own topic of interest and the ways to share the information they learned. Our topics range from dogs to trophy trucks, camels to refugees, the Victorian Age to the Beatles. We noticed that research skills and engagement certainly improved when there is choice and autonomy.
This week is a busy one.
- Today – is Spring Program at 6:00 p.m. at the University Center for the Arts on Remington Street. Students should arrive at 5:45 and head into the auditorium.
- Tuesday – we have our Portfolio Share. Teachers have worked hard to create books of your child’s work throughout the year. Please come join us between 8-9am to look through these books with your child and to be amazed by all their beautiful work from this year. Coffee and treats will be provided.
- Wednesday – we have Field Day in the afternoon. Fifth Graders have the honor of being dunked in the dunk tank. Please make sure you send them with a swimsuit and towel. We’re hoping for good weather.
- Thursday – We are heading to EPIC for skating and swimming. Please be sure to send your child with a sack lunch, pack thick, over the ankle socks for skating and towel, swimsuit and goggles, if you have them, for swimming.
- Friday- 5th grade graduation and last day of school. Please pick up your child at 11:30.
Thank you for entrusting your children to us and for sharing this year with us. For those of you returning next year, we will see you soon. For those of you who will no longer be with us, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.