The High Park Fire was a tragedy for many in the Fort Collins area. That includes our fabulous math teacher Pat Baker, who sadly lost her house to the flames. We'd like to help her out with an idea that can help Pat build a new house and will make her happy: a Math-a-Thon! A fantastic idea conceived by Rivendell student Fiona Walsh.
The idea—get people to sponsor you based on how many math problems you work on and answer correctly, or a flat amount of money can be pledged. If you'd like to participate, here's how it works:
- Get sponsors for each problem, or a flat amount for a certain number of math problems.
- Have your parents go to www.mathfactcafe.com and download math worksheets according to your math grade level. Challenge yourself to try something harder than easy math you already know! If you brought home a math book to work on this summer, you could use that if you want.
- Do the worksheets and have parents correct them. If your math is harder than your parents can do, there are answer sheets on the web site.
- Collect the money for your pledges
- Drop the money off at Rivendell. The building is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Give your contribution to a teacher or place it in the Tuition Troll (labeled "Pat's Math-a-Thon"). Mailing it is OK too. PLEASE - note that the money is for Pat.
- Watch Pat smile when she learns you have been practicing math over the summer and you helped her out with her fire tragedy!
You could have your neighborhood friends do it, too. Some of Fiona's neighborhood friends got their own sponsors and did the math problems and they don't even know Pat, but they are helping her.
Good luck and have fun! If you have any questions you can call Fiona at 482-2018 or you can call Maggie and Jerry Walsh at 988-7369 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Pat! Do Math!
School is out at 11:30am, Friday May 25. No after-school care will be provided that day. We hope everyone has a safe and fun-filled summer. See you in the fall!