A couple of times each month Middle Kids are assigned a Recitation as part of their homework. They are given a theme, and their job is to prepare a short speech which they present to the class on Friday morning. Recitations have proven to be extremely beneficial in building self esteem and comfort in a public speaking situation.
Some examples of Recitation topics from the past:
- 3 goals for the new year
- Interview someone who has served in the military
- Identify 5 items you are thankful for, and tell why
- Describe a common occupation during colonial times
- Memorize a short poem
- Something that symbolizes my summer with my family
- A favorite symbol of Fall
Children can actually learn to like public speaking if it is introduced in a safe, accepting, friendly environment!