The science and engineering fair will be held from March 5-9 in our Rivendell commons. Parent volunteers and staff will fill out official judging forms all week. OK will be entering individual projects and MK will set up their in-class “science shares”
The update pages and some helpful websites are linked to this page, so you can print and reprint as fast as they get lost:)
We will need a bit of help from you parents, but NOT TOO MUCH please.https://drive.google.com/a/rivendell-school.org/file/d/0B5RKpWM03u_udF9FYi1Qa0xTYmhtY0U4bnVnekk0d043NTRn/view?usp=sharing
Things that are ok to DO for your child:
- buy them a board from Elisa – $6
- gather the supplies they need
- help them do their research both at library and online.
- help them to find an expert and ask questions
- print the information they need for the board
- serve as an active audience and listen to them share, ask questions
- be a judge or just take time to walk through and look at all the other participants.
Thing that are TRULY not helpful:
- influencing your kiddo on their topic (it needs to be something they are interested in).
- performing the experiment and making hypothesis.
- choosing the language needed to express their observations.
- building their model
- gluing their pictures on the board
- leaving them completely alone to stress out (yes, it is a fine balance between empowering and enabling)
Here are the dates that they need to bring updates to me– UPDATES will be coming home with your child in folder and can be printed from here. These are MONDAY DATES so we have time all week to conference if needed before Friday Science class. BRING ON MONDAY PLEASE!
Jan. 29- Brainstorm and 3 Questions Due –
Feb. 5 – Investigation/Update #1 due –
Feb. 12 – Research Sheet/Update #2 due
Feb. 19- Update #3 due
Feb. 26– Work week….time to make your conclusion, analyse your data, work on that table, beautify your board.
March 5- bring projects from 7:45-8:15- set up in commons
March 8- Science Share night at Rivendell!!! come explore, listen to presentations and ask lots of questions
March 9th– winners announced in class. All winners will receive packet to apply for PSD fair.
April 3 – winners must have application in to Museum of Discovery to learn more details…see Kari
April 14- PSD science fair- Lesher Middle School